Friday, June 18, 2004

Illiterate as well as fuckwitted

M and I popped into Londis this evening to pick up some beers and the Friday Guardian on the way to get takeaway Chinese for a houseful. While hovering round the newspapers, I caught sight of the Daily Mail.

The headline read:

One in 5 children grow up with no fathers

No. No. No. One in five children grows up with no father. The subject of the sentence is the one child, not the five, and one child has one father, on the whole. Naturally, I didn't read on to find out what pearls of wisdom the Daily 'family values' Mail chose to impart about this heinous situation.

But I guess you should expect nothing more from a rag aimed at pea-brained bigots.

I'm listening to Long Hot Summer by the Style Council on vinyl. I want an Embassy Regal and a little transparent lighter with hearts embossed on it to spark it up with.

joella

No comments: