Thursday, May 22, 2003

Sun, sea, sand and none of the other thank you very much

Well the jolly hols proceed apace, and I am liking Turkey just as much as I have on previous visits, although it doesn't feel right being here without Mr B (who lives in Istanbul). I keep looking at my parents and doing a double take -- am I really on holiday with you? I would probably do the same for my sister but she's mostly asleep.

Everyone is very friendly, the food is fantastic and the weather is sublime: sunny and windy and not too hot. I am definitely feeling some of the downsides of being on a package thing, which is basically like living in a bubble, but it's a very comfortable and chilled out bubble, which is good, and I wouldn't want it any other way with the parentals.

And you aren't exactly guaranteed authentic 'experiences' (man) when trogging round with a backpack, just guaranteed a cheaper and bumpier time. They are running a business here, they are doing a very good job of it, and everyone's a winner, right?

(not sure, need to think about this more)

As a slightly related aside, the waiters must succeed sometimes, or they wouldn't be so doggedly persistent. I wonder what the ratio is -- how many nos to a yes?

joella

No comments: