Tuesday, May 13, 2003

Smells like community spirit

The street fair was a resounding success. Lots of people did Miles's treasure hunt, and some even finished it. I sold all the jelly (apple was more popular than I expected, and vodka was the last to go, who'd have thought it).

I had a couple of glasses of wine from the French cafe, came over all light headed, bought some pink plants and some buns, and played Lemon Jelly and Radio Zumbido from our doorstep when the man down the road wasn't singing pop classics with his acoustic guitar. I got AstroTurf graze from the Tug of War and only got mildly agitated when people trod on my plants as they used the barbecue in our front garden.

The skies opened just after five, conveniently emptying the street, and then I came over all tired and grumpy, not helped by washing up fifty little plastic bowls. Had to retire to my pyjamas and missed Jeremy's party (sorry Jeremy).

Lessons for next time (in the spirit of living and learning)

  • Do one thing as a household not two, otherwise you get competitive and snappy
  • Be clear about who's buying the food for the barbecue, otherwise you are eating the surplus all week
  • Daytime drinking brings daytime hangovers, you should know that already
  • If you do Tug of War you fall over and it hurts

    And Vege-Gel should sponsor me: several vegetarians said they would be off to buy some immediately. Not that they'll find any, as I bought every box in East Oxford.

    joella
  • No comments: