Wednesday, March 12, 2003

Cake in the oven

I get invited to dinner on Gez's boat. Sure, I say, would you like me to bring a pineapple upside down cake?

What is *happening* to me?

Gez says he would LOVE a pineapple upside down cake, so here I am, baking one. The last time I had pineapple upside down cake was some time in the late 70s, when we went on a family holiday to Ireland.

It was made by a great aunt of mine who lived, and still lives, in a post office. I got to play with the stamps. The whole house smelt of peat, which is what they used to burn on the fire. It rained a lot. My sister and I made a little town out of paper from a Richard Scarry book. And we had pineapple upside down cake.

It has lived at the back of my mind ever since and popped up occasionally, but I have never come within a mile of one since, and now I am baking one. Weird, weird, weird.

You get an interesting difference searching for recipes for pineapple upside down cake on Google.com and Google.co.uk (restricting to UK results). British recipes are based around golden syrup, flour and sugar (lots of sugar). American recipes mostly start with "take one pack of yellow cake mix".

Actually, is that interesting?

Oven beeping, me barking.

joella

No comments: