Friday, March 14, 2003

Box of rain

What a beautiful day it has been. The sun, the blossom in the trees, the wind, the daffodils.

And I am thankful for spring, but something is missing, and that something is my little 2cv. The first roof off drive of spring is a ritual we shared for many years, but this year Conrad gets that pleasure. That is better than no one getting it at all, but it's hard.

And so it was that I borrowed Miles's car to get to my leg waxing appointment at lunchtime. It can't touch a 2cv for convertible style and spring joie de vivre, but it does have a CD player, and that makes up for a lot. And the song that I played as I drove through Oxford with the wind as much in my hair as I could manage with a roof that has to stay on, was Box of Rain by the Grateful Dead (the link is to annotated lyrics from a guy at the University of Colorado -- surely an honour accorded to few other bands...)

I felt lots of things -- Box of Rain is one of those songs -- but most of them good. A great song for springtime. Play it loud.

joella

No comments: