Thursday, January 23, 2003

Grown up office life

I've got a new job. Still in the same place, but a new job. My lovely team, my surrogate dysfunctional family, are now over the road arguing about rice cakes and remaining resolutely cynical about anything corporate, and I am in a room on my own trying to work out what it is I now do. Yesterday I had two visitors, but today I have only had one.

It's a grown up move. Very strategic, and I have bought new boots to prove it (and to make myself taller and more imposing).

But I am a little bit sad.

I felt just like this when I moved from the House on the Hill to the Job In A Business Park.

Not much of your working life can be like that -- I guess I am lucky to have had it twice. Justin Ruffles is doing a great job of documenting the days on the hill with his Ghost of Working Past occasional series. My favourite so far is January 18th. It wasn't all great -- in fact bits of it were downright awful -- but you knew who your friends were. And some of them still are. Can't be bad.

joella


No comments: