Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Wok 2.0

We have a bit of a carrot glut at the moment, so I went looking for carrot recipes while M watched The Simpsons. I did this via old skool cookbooks... you get a feel for the author whose recipes you are in the mood for, and I was feeling a bit Prue Leith. I can't find her carrot fritters recipe online, but there is an Anthony Worrall Thompson one that is remarkably similar.

We got to work. I don't get on with the wok (partly because it lives on top of the cupboard and I can't reach it without standing on a chair, and partly because it has a complicated aftercare ritual), so M was doing the honours. He was grating away, and I was whizzing yoghurt with herbs and shredding lettuce. I only have one thing to ask of you, he said. Please don't Twitter about your fritter*.

As soon as the carrot hit the hot oil I had an urge to hear Neutral Milk Hotel's King of Carrot Flowers Part 1 - a song I just can't get enough of, but I worry that I play too much. Saturation means I might go off it, though come to think of it that's never worked for gherkins, The Wire, sleeping or any of the other things I indulge in too much of. Patience, joella, I thought to myself, and instead I lined up all 58 of the songs that come up on Spotify (today) if you search on 'carrot'.

There are worse ways to choose the soundtrack for dinner, though there was rather too much Beefheart (=any Beefheart) for my liking.

joella

*and I'm not, see?

No comments: