Monday, November 24, 2008

Post-viral reality TV

Right, I said to M last night as we watched Survivors, if I get it first, fill the bath with cold water. And every pan in the house. Maybe we should get a water butt after all.

Jo, he said, it's television. It's not really happening.

Hmm, I said. OK, let's have another sloe gin.

Later, the ethnically diverse bunch of sensible women (apart from the one in shock) and aggressive men (apart from the little boy) that were left to carry on the human race stood on the fast lane of the M25 and wondered where to go.

Well somewhere with a well and a septic tank, obviously, I said. Like, duh.

Jo, he said.

OK, OK, I said. But you know, if J the plumber and M the Field Secretary have made it, I reckon we'll be all right.

joella

5 comments:

Ben said...

I'd have said the most logical place to go was back to the outward-bound adventure centre. Plenty of room for everyone, it probably had the required septic tank, and a guy on hand who knew about how to live rough anyway.

I'm not sure you could drive through that kind of fantastic scenery and come to the M25. In fact I'm not sure what motorway it would get you to, except possibly the M8 in Glasgow, which it wasn't. Sod it, it's only TV.

cleanskies said...

I thought it was set in Birmingham. Was that supposed to be London?

I'm not sure I'd want to drink from my waterbutts. Not without some charcoal to hand, anyway.

Jo said...

I'm not sure where it was supposed to be set, I was just assuming it was the M25 because it was so big...

And while the logic is bang on I just don't think I could bear to spend the rest of my life in an outward bound activity centre. Outward bound activity centres must surely make up one of the circles of hell.

I was thinking water butts for washing. But they wouldn't go far, I guess...

Anonymous said...

I was left twitching at every tiny sound, imagining verocious townies coming to raid the henhouse & steal my girls! (but that was after episode 2!)

Jo said...

I just keep thinking about all the farm animals and all the household pets :-(