Monday, September 24, 2007

The future's bakelite

Today, I had to engage with the Orange Shop. I recently tried to upgrade my mobile contract online, and they rang me up and told me I should really get a new phone. Indeed, they sounded amazed that I had neglected to upgrade my phone before now. So I did, as the battery on my trusty Nokia 6310i was beginning to fade. I did no research whatever, I just said I wanted something reliable, robust and made by Nokia. They recommended the Nokia 6300, and sent me one.

I had seven days to send it back if I didn't like it, but a) it took me nearly that long to get round to charging it up and using it, and b) housemate C spilt red wine over the box and instruction book as soon as I did. But it didn't occur to me that I wouldn't like it. It does everything, including (probably) bring you to orgasm if you get the vibrate setting right. And it's beautiful, beautiful, very very beautiful.

But I don't like it. The battery doesn't last nearly as long as my fading, five year old 6310i one. Couple of phone calls and you're down from 100% to 40%. I've been charging it every other night. It would never see you through a festival. It takes photos, but you have to buy a not-included cable (also not sold by the Orange Shop) to actually get them off the phone. And they added Orange Care (insurance, basically), for £6 a month, without asking me if I wanted it. I didn't, but by the time I realised I had it I was out of my 14 day cooling off period. Hence the visit to the shop, where they did cancel it, but it still cost me half an hour of my life that I'll never get back.

And getting everything else sorted out has cost me several more hours, for something I didn't ask for, didn't need and now don't really want. The moral of the story, boys and girls, is that there's no such thing as a free phone. Serves me right for believing the hype.

In other news: what a twat. Drives a stupidly powerful machine at a stupidly dangerous speed on a road that's quite dangerous enough already, then takes his mum and dad to court with him to prove how really really sorry he is.

joella

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told you there was no cable in the box! There is literally no way you can get your photos off your phone unless you, I don't know, phone up and ask someone how... and I am not prepared to go to those lengths.

It's all about the miracle of consumer choice.

Jo said...

I know. I *thought* I was bypassing this neatly by just going for the latest in the range I have had before, which is what I do with, I don't know, rucksacks or kettles or something, but it's not as simple as that anymore. I feel So Old.

bedshaped said...

If the battery doesn't last as long as it states in the wine covered instructions, then I would complain to them if I were you. Phone batteries should be at their prime within the first few weeks at least. You could go back to the Orange shop and ask them to swap it with another new battery.
Of course the real test is how it handles being dropped from your pocket or (perish the thought) getting wet while you're working.