Friday, February 17, 2006

Showing my age

This week I upbraided my friend Ben for being rude about Paul Weller - specifically, for claiming that he has always written miserable songs. No! I said. Listen to Cafe Bleu! In particular, listen to 'You're the best thing'. In what sense could this song ever be described as miserable? (At this point I should direct you to an MP3 of it but I can't find one, and I can't make my own as I have it on vinyl, and while I know that doesn't make it impossible, life is too short. If you haven't got it, ask iTunes. But, as I said to Ben, you want the original, not the Singular Adventures version.)

This song...

Could be discontent
Chase the rainbow's end
I could win much more
But lose all that is mine

I could run away
But I'd rather stay
I'm content just with the riches that you bring

... is by any measure the very opposite of miserable, but personally I love it because it, and the rest of the album it comes from, formed part of the soundtrack to my first serious relationship. So many things about my life are better now than they were 20 years ago, but nothing will ever be as sweet or as salty as some of those memories.

So I guess I'm biased.

But what *really* made me feel old was coming home from the pub last night, deciding to put the record (record!) on, and finding tucked into the album sleeve a page torn out of Smash Hits, with a photo of a young Paul Weller in a lemon yellow jumper and all the lyrics to that beautiful song.

RIP Smash Hits (visit the Smash Hits Tribute Messageboard!). We loved you.

joella

No comments: