Friday, February 03, 2006

The flag burners and cheese boycotters are as bad as the cartoonists

I despair of the world sometimes. Were I a cartoonist, I wouldn't draw a cartoon of Mohammed with a bomb turban. I would think it a little crass, a bit like drawing a cartoon of Jesus as a choirboy abuser or Buddha as a... (um... can anyone think of anything bad that any Buddhist has ever done?)

But, you know. Art as satire. It's not what anyone really thinks. It's designed to get a rise. When I was a teenage feminist I used to get angry at Viz Comic. What's the fucking point? This is on about the same level of sophistication, and so is the bloody reaction to it.

joella

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Joella - check out some of the activities of the Sri Lankan army for a catalogue of what supposedly pacifist buddhists can get up to if they put their mind to it!