Monday, February 20, 2006

David Irving: not mad, just bad

I like to think I am reasonably well informed about current affairs (I snooze to the Today Programme for at least an hour every morning), and being a little bit Jewish I have a special interest in anti-Semitism. So I am really quite embarrassed to recount the following, but feel its comedy value might redeem me.

There's lots of buzzing on the airwaves at the moment about David Irving being tried in Austria, where Holocaust denial is illegal, for claiming that Auschwitz's gas chambers were a hoax. Skimming the BBC News RSS feed earlier, I saw the headline 'Irving admits Holocaust 'mistake'', and skipped over to take a look.

Hmm, I thought, I see he's not wearing those turquoise tracksuits anymore.

Hmm, I thought again, actually he might not be the guy with the turquoise tracksuits.

It turns out I had confused David Irving (who was a serious historian if also "an active Holocaust denier, anti-Semitic and racist ") with David Icke (who is clearly barking mad if also the holder of pretty dodgy views on Jews).

I had been wondering why anyone cared what he thought. I've got it now.

joella

No comments: