Monday, October 10, 2005

Rushing to the Hospital in Islamabad

I've realised how much I rely on the web to feel connected to what's going on in the world. I only had the TV and radio news this weekend to inform me about the earthquake in Pakistan, India and Afghanistan, and it was strange. I felt a lot more passive than (say) during the tsunami aftermath, where I scoured NGO websites, bbc.co.uk and individuals' blogs, looking for the human angle, reading different perspectives.

So I was pleased to get to a robust internet connection this morning. I am of course aware that in the scheme of things there are bigger things to worry about than my ability to look at Flickr, but I think first person reportage and commentary is one of the wonders of the web, and the world would be poorer without it.

Check out Rushing to the Hospital in Islamabad. Not sure if he took this himself, but it's an amazing photo.

joella

No comments: