Monday, March 28, 2005

Patience is a virtue

I have been getting very bored waiting for my compost bin to actually produce compost. Just how long is it supposed to take?

After the latest in a long line of such rants, M obligingly approached the little door in the bottom of it brandishing a trowel, and brought me a bucketful to dig into the brand new flowerbed. Hmmm, he said, I don't think eggshells were a good idea. Or mango stones.

And to be honest, it was a bit like looking at what we had for dinner 18 months ago.

But in fairness, it smelt a lot better than the organic chicken manure pellets I bought on Saturday, fully expecting that there wouldn't be any compost from the compost bin at all. Why did I think they *wouldn't* smell like chicken shit?

I am also slightly worried that they are organic simply because they are made of shit, rather than because they are made of shit from organically farmed, happy, fluffy, die of natural causes chickens.

You can't even garden without eggshells, bad smells and moral dilemmas these days. I wouldn't mind but I don't even seem to be getting better at it.

joella