Sunday, March 06, 2005

Longest cold in Christendom

This time last week I was out in the garden, trying (and failing) to dig up the roots of a bush I've been trying to finish off for at least two years. It was cold and I was muddy, but generally pleased with myself.

Then I came in and had a bath. All of a sudden I felt shaky and weird, and I retreated under my duvet in disgust.

And if I didn't need to feed myself and earn a living, I'd have been there ever since. Every day I've been waking up with a head full of gunk and a pain behind the eyes, hitting the Lemsip (or generic Boots version thereof), going to work, feeling shite and coming home early. I've been heavy on the garlic, vitamin C and echinacea, reasonably good about early nights and haven't done anything I didn't have to do.

But I'm Still Not Better And It's Not Fair.

I know I just need to be patient, but I'm finding it awfully hard. Keeping me sane at night is Otrivine Nasal Spray. My mother disapproves deeply of such things so I never discovered it until I was an adult, and it's the business. I don't know how it does it, but it turns a blocked up nose into a open airway in a matter of minutes, with only a nasty amphetamine-flavoured drip down the back of the throat and gummy yellow stuff in your balsam Kleenex as side effects.

Okay, maybe this indicates that my mother is right (wouldn't be the first time) but sometimes you'll do anything to get a decent night's sleep, even if it does cost you your nostril lining.

joella

No comments: