Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Unease = progress

I got home this evening full of lingering post viral malaise to find our student neighbours playing David Gray on repeat through bad hi-fi equipment out of an upstairs window.

I wanted to scream YOU ARE STUDENTS FOR FUCK'S SAKE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING PLAYING DAVID FUCKING MIDDLE OF THE ROAD FUCKING BANALITY PERSONIFIED FUCKING GRAY? WHAT'S NEXT FUCKING TRAVIS?

Instead I went out and got drunk with some splendidly cynical friends, then came home and put on Exit Planet Dust (on our vastly superior hifi), which is an album with two extremely strong resonances.

Firstly it is nearly the soundtrack to my first cocaine experience, specifically the moment the room went crazy and we were all bouncing all over the place. It was like a door to another plane was suddenly opened and we all burst through it together. (I think what was actually playing was Dig Your Own Hole, but it could easily have been EPD).

Secondly it was on one particular night as my last relationship fell apart and I smoked too much dope and drank too much whisky with my Significant Ex. The Brother who was going to work it out began to loom as a monk who had been suggested to me as someone who might help a lapsed Catholic work through her issues. While proposed with the best possible intentions, this offer filled me with horror, and in a strange way the song still does.

So all in all it's an album of uneasy listening, and on top of that the beats will keep you up and at it, or at least awake.

How much more better than David Gray could it *be*?!

joella

No comments: