Thursday, May 20, 2004

Legal peer to peer = LCD

... where LCD stands for lowest common denominator.

I *want* to download music legally. I've stopped downloading from audiogalaxy et al because I can't bear the spyware, adware and general invasiveness, and I do see the point of copyright. I am prepared to pay for my music. I even have a track wishlist -- tracks I know I want but can't justify buying the albums, or they're not on albums.

But when will such a legal service exist? ITunes, by all accounts I have heard, is great for fans of million-selling artists but stops there. And frankly, such fans are already pretty well served. I don't have a problem getting a reasonably priced copy of the latest chart album I happen to want, and can't see that I ever will.

But what about the tracks that you could only *find* on Napster, back in the day? Who will sell us those?

Napster.co.uk has just launched itself, all puffy and hyped and making millionaires of its protagonists. And I say, arse to you and your capitalist sensibilities. You're about as alternative as Avril Lavigne listening to my mum's Elkie Brooks CD. See left for evidence.

joella

No comments: