Thursday, February 14, 2008

Camillas in the mist

Oooh, it was spooky walking down Cowley Road last night. I was off to see the Oxford Improvisers performing a take on the Orpheus myth -- something they really should have kept for Valentine's Day, as it was delightfully bleak.

The streetlights were huge in the mist, but their light was swallowed before it hit the ground. It was murky and mysterious at ground level, and people were swallowed by the night as quickly as they appeared.

And then I saw them: stilettoes and bare legs, posh coats and expensive hair, scattered across the pavement in a spindly flock, in their own fog of smoke and perfume and yah and wow. They weren't moving for anyone.

So I turned up my collar, turned up It's Hard to be a Saint in the City, and marched straight through the middle of them.

Not an endangered species, sadly.

joella


7 comments:

Andy said...

You're right, last night was odd. I cycled to town about 8pm. The floodlights were on on Iffley Road rugby pitch, the tennis courts and Magdalen boy's school. The sky was a glowing green. So odd, so beautiful.

And when I came home about 11pm along Cowley Road it was all students in golf gear or pink dressing gowns.

Odd.

Ben said...

They're as scared of you as you are of them, really ...

Anonymous said...

Just don't look 'em in the eye.

Jo said...

Welcome Mr Wibble... how nice to have a new commenting person (which isn't to say I'm not happy with all my regular or occasional commenting people, I hasten to add). I'm not tall enough to look Camillas in the eye. They tower. They loom.

Anonymous said...

Thankyou Jo.I'm enjoying your writing.:-)

backroads said...

You so had me at It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City. Why didn't you mention it earlier?

Jo said...

hello backroads... because I never quite know how to write about music to be honest. But sometimes it slips in of its own accord.