Friday, February 04, 2005

Why am I always on a plane or a fast train?

I don't buy nearly as much music as I used to. I spend a lot less time listening to it than I used to as well... and what I do listen to is more often old and familiar than new. I don't know what I do with the time that I used to spend on listening to new stuff to the point where it became familiar stuff, I just know it's not there anymore.

But every now and again, an album comes along that I fall for. Maybe they hit me at a time when I am receptive, and maybe the time after a holiday is a receptive time. Whatever, I am currently slightly obsessed with Want One, by Rufus Wainwright, a birthday present from my lovely boyfriend.

Specifically, I am taken with the opening track, which is lyrically so simple, but says so much and which is big and crashy and has room for all kinds of feelings. I have already been caught waving wooden spoons round the kitchen to it while washing up. (Still no dishwasher...)

joella