Saturday, February 15, 2003

Also

Blogging is very different from other kinds of writing, isn't it? It kind of reminds me of when email first happened. I had an email address very early, because of my strange job writing about online information before much information was online. And as a result I wrote long, involved emails to other people I knew who had email addresses, and a couple of these saved exchanges now feel like relics from another age, so intimate and detailed are they. Email took some getting used to, and of course evolved as well, to the point where now I get so fucking much of it I rarely use it for anything important.

For a while there was texting, but that's pretty limiting, and there's no easy way to save them offline, as it were, and then there was Messenger, but I got pretty burnt by that when I inadvertently became someone's masturbation aid. Just the once, mind. At least, as far as I know.

And now there's blogging. While the main person I am writing for remains myself, I think, I obviously do bear a wider audience in mind. This mostly has an effect when I want to tell a story which involves other people. Etiquette obliges one to avoid naming names, or to omit certain details, in order not to piss anyone off. But it's complicated. I quite enjoy the challenge, but every now and again it's almost impossible.

Like yesterday. I really wanted to explain why I hate Valentine's Day so much, because that's what was dominating my thoughts all day, and this is currently the place where I muse on these things. But it's impossible without mentioning my Significant Ex, and while nobody from his time zone has ever visited, he might well be furious at even a passing mention, by name or not. I do try and avoid it, honest.

And then there was a whole Valentine's Day episode with Miles that I just skated over, on the grounds that, well, it was a long time ago and should be laid to rest. He never normally reads this, he gets more than enough ranting I suspect. But I think his curiosity was piqued, so he did, and then he pointed out that I hadn't explained why it was that I wanted to chop him into little pieces with my axe. You just can't please some people.

This is blogging about blogging, which is only mildly interesting even to me, so I think I will take myself to bed. Tomorrow: Why I Am Going On Holiday With My Parents.

joella

No comments: