Saturday, December 06, 2003

Sexual healing

There are some songs that I never play, but when I hear them on the radio, I am full of feelings drawn from many stages of my life.

They are mostly songs which first became important when I was a teenager, and which, because they are standalone great songs rather than simply because they have stuff that was in the charts when I was in adolescent turmoil, have stayed important since. They happen along at unexpected times and drop me into reverie.

Sexual Healing (the original by Marvin Gaye) is definitely one such song. It was just on Radio 6. Rattlesnakes by Lloyd Cole is another. Pretty much anything by The Jam. Ain't Nothin' Going On But The Rent by Gwen Guthrie. Five Hundred Miles by the Proclaimers. Chain Reaction by Diana Ross. The Boxer. Most of Led Zeppelin IV, like it or not. Pinball Wizard. Purple Haze. Smoke on the Water. West End Girls. Planet Earth. Theme from S Express. Pump Up The Volume. The Only Way Is Up. Groove is in the Heart. California Dreaming. Between the Wars (though I do have that in several versions and have heard it live about 20 times).

*sigh*

But getting older ain't all bad. Tonight we had people for dinner for the first time in ages. There was me and M, plus our friend L, our friend C, and C's daughter. Two fortysomethings, two thirtysomethings and a teenager, and we had a great time -- some of the best food, the best conversation and the most fun I have had in a long time.

Today also bought digital camera. Building up to move over to India weblog -- more manana.

Long week, v tired, should have gone to bed early rather than taking the alcohol option. Alcohol is so evil. After your first drink you think just one more might be a good idea, then after your second you don't care whether a third is a good idea or not, you just want to drink more, and all tomorrows hangovers are of no consequence at all. Or maybe that's just sad old addict me (and my sad old addict boyfriend, and all my sad old addict friends).

Later note -- even weirder is when a song on the radio sounds like it's sampling a song like one of those above (as is happening now on the aforementioned Radio 6 -- I am sure Nick Saloman is playing guitar {from Then You Wanted Me} yet one of the Everly Brothers is singing... it's not at all a comfortable listen). It's like your past is being reappropriated, man.

Oooh, apparently that was The Coral. I never thought they were worth the effort, maybe I should rethink.

joella

No comments: