Tuesday, May 25, 2010

To: customer.relations@crosscountrytrains.co.uk

[STARTS]

Dear Cross Country Trains

I just want to thank one of your staff, the Train Manager on Sunday 23rd's 13.27 from Manchester Piccadilly to Oxford. We were sitting in the Quiet Coach and, together with all the other passengers, had to contend with the deliberately noisy and disruptive behaviour of a group of five young teenagers. They refused to keep the noise down, despite being asked by several people, incuding us, and kept making phone calls, shouting, trying to get reactions from other passengers etc. Eventually my partner asked the carriage if anyone objected to him asking the train staff to take action. Nobody did, and he went to get the manager, who acted swiftly and very effectively, removing them from the carriage to talk to them, and then asking them to leave the train. I was really impressed with the professional way he handled the situation, and would like to thank him again.

I am not a fan of the call centre and anonymous website culture which characterises many of our dealings with large companies, train companies included. It all feels very impersonal and a lot of customer service experiences are fairly bleak because you seldom get to talk to anyone who is an expert in anything or seems able to take responsibility for anything. So it's good to be reminded that there are of course many people in large companies who do a great job.

Yours sincerely

joella

Please note: I tried to send this via the feedback form on your website but it tells me that it is sorry, but there is an error. 

[ENDS]

Slightly worried thought: does this mean I am part of the Big Society?

joella

2 comments:

jonathan said...

I think that to qualify for full membership of The Big Society you really would have had to drive the train yourself to the nearest Police Station, and followed this up with a one-woman Citizen's Arrest and the presentation of a fully-costed business plan for the overhaul of the Cross Country franchise as a Not-For-Profit Community Interest Company run on the Scandinavian Co-operative model. However we all have to start somewhere and I for one am tipping you for High Office some time soon, and certainly by the mid-term of the present fixed-term parliament. Vince Cable I would say is taking some nervous looks backward over his shoulder even as we speak.

Jo said...

Jonathan, you are very kind. And in a parallel universe somewhere, I am indeed In Charge. In this one, I sometimes fail to manage my way out of a paper bag.

I did get a reply from the train company. They said it was lovely to get positive feedback and they would be sure to pass it on to the man in question. I felt good.