Friday, January 26, 2007

Kicking off the joella mela


Carbon and Coquette
Originally uploaded by joellaflickr.
It's my birthday on Saturday. As usual, I reject the entire concept of the January blues, preferring instead to embark on a week long celebration of existence, particularly that of Aquarians and extra particularly mine. Most people come out to play in summer, I do it in the middle of winter. Frankly, and I don't know why this should be, it's when I'm gladdest to be alive.

Now, most of the things I want for my birthday (or indeed want full stop) can be purchased from the Screwfix catalogue. After some challenging from nearest and dearest, I conceded that this was a bit one-dimensional. So my mum is getting me some French safety boots (practical yet glamorous -- they come in green and in proper girl sizes!) and I asked M for some new make-up, as most of my limited supply dates back to the 20th century, and some right back to the 1980s.

And so it was that in pre-birthday spirit we went for a long frosty walk on Tuesday, followed by posh lunch at the Ashmolean, followed by a trip to the new MAC concession in Debenhams. It was mildly terrifying, but I dabbled around in the eyeshadows until the uber-glam assistant came to help me. I liked her look, kind of goth with extra pink, and she had a fabulous leather apron full of make-up brushes.

Last time I owned make up brushes I was 18 (I know, I am not a proper woman). But I now have two for eyeshadow alone, on the strength of what she did to me with matt jet black and murky brown.

I'm going back next week to find out what to do with the rest of my face.

In other joella mela plans: Burns night, winter walk, curry spectacular, Sunday lunch, tea and cakes, whisky macs, open fires, duvet day. February can wait.

joella

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I hope you have a great b-day. Sounds like you have a quality selection of plans all lined up for the weekend, so I don't see how you can fail to have a good time.

Many happy returns!http://timtim.typepad.com/timboland/

Anonymous said...

I think I may need some new glasses or some therapy. I could have sworn that you wrote that you could purchase all you want from the 'Scalextric Catalogue'. I think I'm spending too much time on the Space Hopper.

Happy Birthday Jo.