Monday, January 22, 2007

All that glisters is not gold

I haven't started my plumbing sunlighting yet, so I have Mondays and Tuesdays to myself. People keep asking me what I am doing with all this extra time.

Trying hard not to spend any money, obviously, as annoyingly if you only work three days a week they only pay you for three days a week. I haven't been this skint for years. But, you know, potatoes don't cost much.

And I've been thinking a lot. Not getting up on Monday morning is *great*, you can listen to all of Start the Week without having to start the week. I could have done without Hanif Kureishi, obviously, a man's man if ever there was one, but it was interesting to hear Ed Zwick about talking about Blood Diamond.

A week or so ago we sat in a little shop in Mamallapuram while a young Kashmiri guy offered us rubies and sapphires. I rolled my eyes at M. 'One of the things I like best about you,' he said with the air of a man who has not always been so blessed, 'is that you don't want me to buy you expensive jewellery'.

It's true. I have a gold ring, which was made by melting down an identity bracelet; a gold bracelet, which used to be half my great-grandfather's watch chain; and a pair of diamond earrings, whose stones were originally set in an engagement ring (not mine). But not much else.

Partly, this is for all the right reasons. There's the issue of dirty gold and blood diamonds, but there's also just the miserable, miserable, miserable conditions that many mineworkers live and work in. I read some stuff about gold mining when I was in South Africa that will never leave me.

But you can get ethically sourced / environmentally friendly precious metals and gemstones if you really want to, like you can get Fairtrade cut flowers and organic tiger prawns. Thing is, I don't. Because my genuinely favourite ever piece of jewellery cost £45. It turns my neck green, but that just reminds me not to wear it every day. Essentially, I'm a cheap date. Everyone's a winner.

joella

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hell, 'sunlighting'- that's a new one to me. Believe me, I can absolutely see the attraction of introducing some variety into the 5 days a week drudgery though- perhaps I should give this some thought...

Oh and by the way Joella I kept meaning to tell you I nominated you for one of these (which may sound like an insult but is really a compliment!)- I hope you don't mind...

http://insignificant-awards.blogspot.com/

... and what is more you won an award (but then so did I, along with everyone else who was nominated, which turned out to be kind of the idea). Anyway hopefully tis curious episode may have won you a few more well-deserved readers....

Jo said...

Well, I don't know what to say! Thank you very much Jonathan! I think you must be one of the few joella regulars who I don't actually know, which makes it even lovelier of you. To my knowledge, the only other award I have ever received was the inaugural Warlock Award for Services to Alternative Make-up, which I got in the 6th form when I was a teenage goth. Ah, how times change.