Saturday, November 25, 2006

Of massages, goats, wildness and, like, so?

Good-o, said M, this morning, as I announced I was off to have a massage. Maybe you'll come back in a good mood. Piss off, I said. Exactly, he said.

How would you like to feel afterwards, asked the nice Australian lady as I was taking my clothes off. In a good mood, I said. She went away and mixed up some clary sage and some wild
marjoram
, then got to work with her forearms.

As I was lying there a conversation about goats that I had forgotten about came back to me, which prompted me to think about a friend of mine who is buying some of her relatives a pile of poo this Christmas. The double-edged gift that gives twice! How splendid. The only thing better is temporarily emigrating to a Hindu country until the stakes are lowered, wrapped in tinsel and put back in the attic for another year. As this is exactly how I plan to spend the festive season, I did indeed emerge in a good mood, and float dreamily home for rye bread and sheep's cheese.

I then prepared my iPod for a drive to Winchester with Plumbing S and her daughter. Shuffle can produce items that scare children, but all that choice is too overwhelming, so I made up some playlists based on all the songs I have in iTunes with titles which start with the same word.

First go: Wild

Wild Children - Van Morrison
Wild Goose - Kate Rusby
Wild Horses - The Rolling Stones
Wild Jack Hammer - The Bevis Frond
Wild Life - INXS
Wild Night - Van Morrison (hey, he's pretty wild!)
Wild Star - Transvision Vamp
Wild Wood - Paul Weller
Wild World - Cat Stevens

Second go: So

So Hard - Pet Shop Boys
So Here I Come - Neneh Cherry
So Lonely - The Police
So Long Ago - The Coral
So Much More - Beth Orton
So Nice - Andy Williams
So Tough - The Slits
So What - Ani DiFranco
So Young - The Stone Roses

As it was we had to listen to The Best Disco Album In The World Ever all the way there, but it could have been worse. Glad to know that young hearts still run free.

joella

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have a go at that game as well but not sure if my vintage Sony Walkman would be quite up to the job. Given the choice I would definitely listen to the 'So' selection rather than the 'Wild' one though (I tried to think of more songs but couldn't get past The Smiths Is It Really So Strange which has its 'so' in the wrong place).

Jo said...

Yes, the Wild selection is a bit naff. This is the embarrassing thing about iTunes, it exposes the underbelly of your music collection to the world. I haven't found a word yet where there are more than five songs which begin with it *and* I'm not embarrassed to own at least one of them...

Tim said...

On mine, you'd get:

Wildfire - The Coral
Wild Wood - Paul Weller
Wild Horses - Flying Burrito Brothers
Wild Horses - Rolling Stones
Wild Honey Pie - The Beatles
Wild Goose - Kate Rusby
Wild Bill Jones - Alison Krauss

So Easy - Royksopp
So Far Away - Stephen Duffy
So Fast, So Numb - REM
So Fresh, So Clean - Outkast
So Long - Rilo Kiley
So Long - Willy Mason
So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright - Simon and Garfunkel
So Many Things - Francoise Hardy
So Real - Jeff Buckley
So Says I - The Shins
So Sweet - Johnathan Rice
So Tired - The Kinks
So Tonight That I Might See - Mazzy Star
So You’ll Aim Towards The Sky - Grandaddy
So. Central Rain - REM

What a daft but strangely satisfying five minutes I've just spent doing that.

Jo said...

I have that Mazzy Star album. *And* the Jeff Buckley. Why didn't they show up? Hmm.

Anonymous said...

I've huge affection and nostalgia for Wild Night and believe it stands up well. Not naff in the slightest. Suppose that Wild Jack Hammer fits that description, but still pleased that you and N. introduced me to it.

Jo said...

I agree completely about Wild Night: it brings nothing but good things to mind. But the INXS... it's from that late-80s overblown tradition which is hard to feel proud of in these organic free-range days.