Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Mere self-pleasuring


Originally uploaded by joellaflickr.

On Saturday night we went to see The Ice Garden, an exhibition which is part of Cape Farewell. Suffice to say, we're all going to hell, and it isn't going to be freezing over any time soon.

Actually, it doesn't quite suffice to say that, for we need to acknowledge that we are only human and we are limited in all kinds of ways, some beyond our control. For an eloquent elaboration, see Ian McEwan's piece on the Boot Room, written after his trip to the Arctic.

Later we saw the Quidams, but it was too chaotic and too cold for something which demanded significant whimsy to appreciate. Instead we went back for another pint of Rudolph's Revenge in the King's Arms, then on for a curry at the wildly psychedelic India Garden, where debate (on the environment, on trade justice, on all sorts) heated into a veritable mushroom cloud.

I need such debate at the moment, as I feel my political axes are shifting and I am not quite sure how or why. I am not even sure if I am becoming more or less radical, or more or less cynical. Funny times.

More beer, more art, more talking. That's what I need. (But isn't that mere self-pleasuring? -Ed)

joella

No comments: