Thursday, June 12, 2003

Tony and Carmela bite the dust

I don't watch much television, but I know what I like. And I like The Sopranos very much indeed.

Marriage can be a tough game to play at the best of times, and these were not the best of times. Tony and Carmela's final confrontation over his decades of infidelities and her unconsummated love for Furio was a triumph of screenwriting. I had to watch it through my fingers.

In fact -- of course -- if you can raise the stakes that high in a screaming match without one of you caving in you must be a pretty well matched couple to start with, which just adds to the tragedy.

And then Meadow's "why did you eat shit from him all these years" speech combined with her flashbacks to happy family times, fucking fantastic.

Never forget how far there is to fall...

joella

No comments: