Monday, June 09, 2003

Pink pants

For as many years as I have been buying my own pants, they have been either black or white. They would all be black, given how manky white pants can get if your washing machine is as inadequate as ours, but a few items of clothing do necessitate the wearing of a white bra rather than a black one and I like to match.

I have a couple of 'special' matching bra and pants sets which are neither black nor white, but 'special' broadly translates as 'uncomfortable', so they don't get much wear. And with 'special' sets it always seems to be a choice between huge pants or strings, and as I don't wear strings (why deliberately have a wedgie all day?) I end up with something resembling school athletics shorts made out of lace. I'm not convinced of the allure.

So generally I just buy a multipack of black minis from M&S whenever I notice that the last batch have more holes in than they should. No decisions to make. No problem.

But I bought a new skirt from RipCurlGirl -- far trendier than anything I would normally buy, but I was in a bad mood and it was hot. It is mostly white and it hangs very low. You can see black pants through it, never a good look, and my white ones come up a good two inches higher than the skirt itself -- and even I can tell that this is a screaming faux pas, especially given their slight bagginess (I think I bought them before they had Lycra).

So on Saturday I decided to buy some 'low rise pants' -- these are new fangled garments which don't really cover very much at all and are designed not to poke out the top of 'low rise' clothes. But a little bit of poke-out (is there a fashion term for this?) is inevitable so you also need to make sure that said pants are presentable, in the same way bra straps have to be if you are wearing a certain type of vest.

It took me ages. Once you deviate from the multipack you're on your own. The number of twenty-first century pant options is staggering. I eventually settled on a 'low rise garter' in white, which were three for £10, and then recklessly chucked one back and substituted a pink pair. They are tiny and made of mesh stuff.

Pink pants! Little pink pants! I was very excited. It's hard to explain the forces which have stopped me even thinking about buying little pink pants for the last 15 years, and harder still to explain why I feel little pink pants are now ok, but maybe when the PC is fixed at home and I don't have to blog in my lunch hour, I should try.

I then decided a matching bra would be just the thing, but sadly they do not make little pink bras in my size.

Sometimes it's hard to be a woman.

joella

1 comment:

tomato said...

ok, I know I'm six years late with this comment, but:

"...something resembling school athletics shorts made out of lace"

Me too!! Dark green. So wrong, yet so right.